Friday, May 8, 2015

A Campground Garden

 It may not seem like a natural fit- a garden in the middle of a campground. However, when we thought about the best option for using the space once occupied by a run down mobile home,  a garden  seemed like a good starting point. We fish a lot here and what goes better with a fresh catch than fresh vegetables?

The water was close due to residual plumbing. I knew that a garden in the campground would require me to see it every day. Hopefully I would keep it better weeded because it would be one of the first areas our campers would see as they drove into the campground. Not only that, but if the vegetables did grow, I should have others able to help eat all the tomatoes and squash when ripe for harvest.

Being in a creek bed most of the soil was  very sandy.  I had never planted a garden here so I was unsure as to what to expect. With the help of the county extension agent I learned that sand is fine but that ideally it is mixed with brown organic matter and some green. I even have little boxes now to get the soil tested. We planted in late April just before a week of rain. Most every plant sprouted as you can see from the corn behind one of our garden signs. I can't wait to add more decoration. We may even do a big mural on the storage shed behind the third raised bed.

The next step we are taking is trying to form a 4-H gardening group as an after school and summer activity. From what we have heard some of the kids around here hate summer because there is nothing to do and school lunches are not provided. So wish us luck on this new endeavor. Stop by to see the garden when you visit the campground.

No comments:

Post a Comment